Specifically San Diego, Anchorage, AK and NY Labor Trafficking victims!
Most people are unsuspecting of Labor Trafficking in religious communities or more specifically Charitable 501c3 organizations - However our organization receives the bulk of support and complaint calls/emails from people who are, have been or know someone currently involved in these classifications of groups. Victims who are intertwined in "charitable" groups - signing a legal waiver of being a "volunteer" in exchange for a bed, 3"square meals" a day and most importantly the "opportunity" to "help mankind / save the planet and the people". Unfortunately and to their own detriment, often times this is not the case for these vulnerable, unsuspecting people who are only trying to do good work.
"Everyone has the potential to discover a human trafficking situation. While the victims may sometimes be kept behind locked doors, they are often hidden right in front of us at, for example, construction sites, restaurants, elder care centers, nail salons, agricultural fields, and hotels. Traffickers’ use of coercion – such as threats of deportation and harm to the victim or their family members – is so powerful that even if you reach out to victims, they may be too fearful to accept your help. Knowing indicators of human trafficking and some follow up questions will help you act on your gut feeling that something is wrong and report it.
- Living with employer
- Poor living conditions
- Multiple people in cramped space
- Inability to speak to individual alone
- Answers appear to be scripted and rehearsed
- Employer is holding identity documents
- Signs of physical abuse
- Submissive or fearful
- Unpaid or paid very little"
- Shipped off to another country another part of the USA for their "important volunteer" position within the organization, away from family, friends and core support system
- Your personal mail being opened and seen before you receive it, or you may not receive it at all
- Going everywhere with a "teammate" (for the sake of "safety"), never having the freedom of being alone and on your own
- Your personal phone calls monitored or being fearful of making personal phone calls
- Very little or No access to the internet, your own personal cell phone and connections to the "outside" world/
- The organization doesn't pay you anything or much at all - leaving you with very little monetary resources to do anything - least of all leave if you needed or wanted.
Email us at Support@FamiliesAgainstCultTeachings.org or call and leave us a message with your contact information 1-877-360-FACT (3228).
The FACT Team